Mouthwash is often considered the forgotten hero in the fight against bad oral hygiene. Although mouthwash is slowly being considered as an active ally for your teeth and gums, it is by no means a replacement for brushing and flossing. The three treatments of brushing, flossing, and washing your mouth in combination can have a positive effect on your oral hygiene. Below are some of the benefits of mouthwash:
– Mouthwash can fight halitosis (harmful bacteria that causes bad breath) and can freshen your breath.
– Mouthwash helps prevent and fight the effects of tooth decay.
– Mouthwash can reduce plaque buildup.
– Mouthwash can prevent tartar from forming. Tartar occurs when plaque hardens around the teeth. Tartar buildup can lead to gum disease and tooth decay.
– Depending on the ingredients, some mouthwashes can even brighten teeth.
– Be careful not only to look for cosmetic mouthwashes but therapeutic ones as well. The best mouthwashes are ones that not only can freshen your breath, but also fight bacteria, tooth decay, and gum disease. Always look for products that have the American Dental Association Seal of Acceptance.
An oft-forgotten oral hygiene tool at your disposal, mouthwash can reach places that brushing and flossing alone may miss. For more helpful hygienic habits, please schedule an oral exam and professional cleaning with Laura Miller DDS. For more detailed services, you can schedule an appointment with Dr. Laura Miller. We can be reached by calling 860-346-6872, in Middletown, Connecticut. We look forward to helping you soon!